Bronxville High School students participated in a variety of workshops and heard from influential guest speakers who shared insight about the impact that food has on our lives during the annual Student Faculty Legislature Day on Jan. 28.
“It was a great way to spread awareness on something that is so prominent in our lives,” said Bridget Sands, a senior and president of the Student Faculty Legislature who organized the day along with SFL Vice President Anabel Maldonado, Treasurer Amelia Srebnik and Secretary Andrea Shepard.
Sands said they chose this year’s topic to provide their peers with opportunities to explore different fields involving food and to engage them in a discussion about the positive and negative effects of food.
Andrew Rea, a chef and filmmaker with more than 3.7 million subscribers on YouTube, provided the keynote address and answered a variety of food-related questions before an audience of students, faculty and administrators. His cooking channel, “Binging with Babish,” is dedicated to discovering what the delectable foods from fiction actually taste like.
“I hope my classmates were inspired to follow careers based on what they love, as Andrew does with his cooking,” Sands said.
Following the keynote address, each student attended three breakout sessions throughout the rest of the day. Guest speakers included more than 20 professionals, including nutritionists, restaurateurs and reporters, as well as student Jimmy Hennessy, who was a contestant on the Food Network’s Chopped Junior. During a breakout session, Rea taught students how to make Pasta Aglio e Olio, a pasta dish from the movie “Chef,” using linguine, lemon, garlic, hot pepper flakes, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper.
“[Andrew Rea] was truly inspiring,” Maldonado said. “He inspired our classmates to ‘go out and cook’ or simply explore the field of media. The dish was fun and easy for my classmates to make.”
The Student Faculty Legislature Day guests and speakers included:
• Andrew Rea, a chef and filmmaker, “Binging with Babish.”
• Elena Ladas, clinical nutritional scientist.
• Raffaele Ronca, restauranteur.
• Cindy Buckwell, café owner.
• Jeanne Muchnick, Journal News food reporter.
• Alexis Glick, CEO of GENYOUth for Fuel Up to Play 60.
• Aly Weisman and Herrine Ro, Insider Food.
• Chef Daniel, chef.
• Ivan Tchatchouwo, nutritionist.
• Jessica Rieder, nutritionist.
• Tiffany Keegan, content creator on Instagram.
• John Brynes, restauranteur.
• Bryan Vallejo, content creator on Instagram.
• Anibal Romero, executive chef, and David Cecil, general manager of Siwanoy Country Club.
• Michael Steifman, founder of Stuart & Co.
• Ethan Shafran, nutritionist.
• Nasser Jaber, partner at Komeeda.
• Jimmy Hennessy, student.
• Samantha Garbarini, associate editor at Westchester Magazine.
• Jared Apuzzo, assistant director at Mount Vernon Soup Kitchen.
• Caitlin Duggan, content creator on Instagram.
• Karen Touna, certified health coach.